One of our best selling chocolates is the Maine Sea Salt Caramel. It’s salty and sweet, creamy and, of course, rich in chocolate goodness. Sometimes we find ourselves eating one, and then another, and maybe another. We got to thinking: how can we make these flavors even BIGGER? More chocolate, more caramel and a hint more sea salt….the Salted Caramel Brownie was born. It’s fudgy, messy, chewy and delicious. They are easy enough to make on a weeknight and decadent enough to bring to a potluck. Break out the mixing bowl; you’ll want to make these tonight.
Maine Sea Salt Caramel Brownie
1 Cup butter
2 Cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbl. espresso or strong coffee
2/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ Cup all purpose flour, divided
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
¾ lb. Wilbur’s Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels (get yours in person or by calling 1.877.CHOCLIT)
Maine Mud Sea Salt Caramel Sauce (coming soon to wilburs.com!)
Maine Mud Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce (Coming soon to wilburs.com!)
Preheat oven to 350°
Spray a 9×9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
Get that box of delicious caramels out of the cupboard, hopefully you didn’t sneak too many.
Chop caramels into pieces;
mix with ½ Cup of flour to coat.
Save any salt/chocolate pieces that fall off caramels when chopping-that’s gold, baby.
- Melt butter in microwave
- Stir in sugar until incorporated, transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl crack eggs and add vanilla and coffee. Whisk until well blended.
4.Add egg mixture to butter mixture in mixing bowl.
- Add 1 Cup of all purpose flour and other dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stop mixing while mixture is still lumpy.
- Gently fold in sea salt caramels and flour mixture
- Pour into prepared baking pan and sprinkle with those delicious chocolate and salt crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, pull out of oven and add spoonfuls of Maine Mud Sea Salt Caramel and Chocolate Caramel sauce over the top of the brownies. As little or as much as you’d like. Ours are about ½ Tbl. size. Think making little pools of caramel. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into brownie portion has only small crumbs or is clean.
- Remove from oven to cool 15 minutes. Drizzle more Maine Mud Sea Salt Caramel Sauce over top with Maine Mud Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Sauce, as little or as much as you like. We like much. Let cool completely, about 2 hours.
Indulge and Enjoy!